Environmental Prime Coat
EC-30™ is designed to penetrate into stabilized crushed rock, crushed rock fragments, and gravel bases. Traditional prime coats have been known to cure the top 2.50 cm surface of sub-base and base roads, while at the same time being scrutinized for its un-environmental effects. EC-30™ is an environmental alternative to traditional prime coats.
EC-30™ was designed to perform the below functions:
- Protect the underlying base by providing a temporary water- proofing layer.
- Once applied, bonds to Surface Treatment (typically with hot or warm mix asphalt applications) with the base road.
- Penetrate 0.60 to 2.50cm to a crushed rock, crushed rock fragments and gravel bases.
- Cures and evaporates faster than traditional cut backs and emulsions. Dries within 6 to 8 hours after application. Allows to lay HMA or WMA quicker.
- Does not require sand blotter to absorb excess material; pending on weather conditions.
- EC-30™ does not require heat to maintain in applicable conditions, reducing energy costs and liability issues regarding transporting heated trucks, or heated storage tanks.
- Used for efficient and effective Dust Control.
- Creates a temporary workable platform for construction traffic and protects the base before Surface Treatment.
- Substantially reduces environmental concerns with air pollution (VOC’s) and water run- off (See MSDS and Environmental Toxicity Reports).
- EC-30™ does not contain oil or petroleum or high levels of solvents as do traditional prime coats and emulsions.
- Reduced environmental and human liability when applying / inhaling / handling cutbacks and asphalt emulsion materials.
- Boiling Point (°F): 100°C
- Specific Gravity: ( H20 = 1): 1.02
- Vapor Pressure: 17.535 ( Gauge)
- Percent Volatile: 0
- Solubility In Water: Miscible
- Percent Volatile: 0
- Appearance: Dark Brown Liquid, Dries Dark Brown
- Odor: Mild Odor
- Flammability: Non-flammable in water state. In dry state only, flammable when reached above 150°C.
GUIDELINES FOR USE & APPLICATION
In order to achieve the most desirable application results with EC-30™, it is important that:
- There is no imminent threat of rain or extreme cold weather conditions. Surface temperatures should not be at or below 10°C.
- Traffic should not be opened while EC-30™ is curing. Once EC-30™ fully cures out and dries, construction traffic may be opened.
- The base should be porous, reasonably smooth and free of dust or fines.
- Moisture conditions are adequate for the base. Appropriate moisture conditions will enable EC-30™ to penetrate deeper in the base.
- Before applying Surface Treatment,apply a thin layer of atack coat for enhanced bonding to the Surface Treatment.
- Application Rate: Between 1.0 to 1.5 liter / mt2 (LSM).
- Application Method: Allow for proper application rate and uniform coverage. Proper asphalt distributor coverage is required to prevent streaking. Spray nozzles should be set between 15 to 30 degrees to the horizontal axis of the spray bar.
- Application Method: No heat or dilution required. EC-30™ is best applied at ambient temperature. Form uniform application, proper spray bar height must be maintained during application.
- Application Method: The height of the spray bar should be set to allow for an exact single overlapping coverage (Typically 10 to 15 cm above the base ground).
STORAGE AND HANDLING
EC-30™ is water based suspension, and should not be exposed to freezing temperatures below 5°C or overheating over 48°C. EC-30™ can be stored at ambient temperature for up to 4 months. NO HEAT REQUIRED. EC-30TM can be circulated every 2 to 3 weeks or prior to application with a 5 horsepower (HP) circulating pump.
5°C and rising
The emulsion is chemically stabilized, so care should be taken not to upset the chemicals balance with contamination by chemicals, over-exposure to air, or adverse mechanical or thermal conditions. Before being filled, tanks and trucks should be examined for possible contaminants.
- Do not dilute with additional water.
- Do not mix or dilute with other compounds that contain solvents such as mineral spirits or kerosene, or fluids that might contain petroleum distillates
- Do not apply when temperatures are below 10° C.
- Do not apply if there is an imminent threat of rain or extreme rain.
- DO NOT DIRECTLY ADD EC-30TM WHILE ASPHALT DISTRIBUTOR TRUCK IS HOT. STEAMING, BOILING, AND OR EXPLOSION MAY OCCUR. LET ASPHALT DISTRIBUTOR TRUCK COOL BEFORE ADDING EC-30TM FOR APPLICATION PURPOSES.
- Follow instruction of MSDS for Health and Safety Instructions.
EC-30™ is Patented
The information contained on this page is correct to the best of our knowledge, but is intended only as a source of information. The recommendations or suggestions herein are made without guarantee or representation as to results, and we suggest that you evaluate the recommendation contained on this page in your own laboratory prior to use. Our responsibility for claims arising from breach of warranty, negligence or otherwise is limited to the purchase price of the material.